Over the weekend, MTV was trying to break the record of the number of people to record memories for a 10-year time capsule. People shared their predictions for what they wanted their lives to be like in a decade.
It got me thinking…
Right now, Mini is in 2nd grade and we are currently planning her 8th birthday party.
In 10 years, she will be a HS Senior and we will be planning her 18th birthday. (Don’t remind her father of this.. He can’t handle thinking of Mini at that age!)
She might have a college picked out already. She might have a summer job lined up or she might already have a job (if she plans on driving, she’ll have a job!).
The more I think about her now and think about her in the future, I have several hopes for her..
- that the world doesn’t chew her up and spit her out.
- her self-esteem remains in tact, just the way it is now.
- she takes the time to enjoy being young.
- she laughs every chance she gets.
- she is able to recognize who her friends are and who she needs to weed out.
- she is able to understand any and all choices I have made.
- I have equipped her with the ability to know right from wrong… and she listens.
- she listens to her head over her heart.
- she still has a love for learning.
- she’s still a virgin.
- she’s happy.
- her need to make others happy doesn’t cost her any of her own happiness.
- she knows I love her no matter what.
- she accomplishes emotionally what it took me 30+ years to realize.
Most of all, I hope I can help her with all of these things.
As a parent, I know that every small thing I do now shapes who Mini will be as an adult. Most likely by the time she is 17, I will be pegged as “lame” but hopefully she gets over that fast 😉
What do you hope for your kids in 10 years?