This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through the links, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Let’s talk about creating a personal mission statement.
What is your purpose?
If you’re like most people, you have no idea how to answer.
Why? Because you probably never even considered it!
Writing a mission statement has three primary benefits:
- forces you to consider what your purpose in life is
- gives your life direction
- something you can use to measure yourself by
Quite frankly, there’s no reason NOT to create one.
So let’s discuss some strategies you can use to create your own mission statement:
who do you want to be?
You are going to need to determine the person you want to be, who you would be super proud to be. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt and assume that you can become anything you desire.
- What characteristics does that person possess?
- Who would you want to be?
- What qualities do you want to have?
- What do you want to stand for?
who are your heroes?
Whom do you look up to and why?
The people you most admire (whether someone from the past or present, maybe a relative or neighbor) can leave clues about what is most important and/or impressive to you.
- Whose life would you like to live?
- Whom did you admire when you were a child?
There are several CEOs and other famous people that have posted their mission statements for the world to see.
Check out a few and see if anything appeals to you.
think forward, then look back
As morbid as it might seem, picture yourself on your deathbed.
- What would you like to see when you look back on your life?
- What legacy do you want to leave behind?
Having regret at this stage in your life would be a tragic thing. You can prevent that by considering this circumstance today.
time to write your statement
You have enough information now to write your mission statement. I added a link for a free worksheet at the bottom of this post for you.
- Try limiting yourself to a single paragraph.
- Hone in on the essential elements.
- Describe the mission for your life.
There’s no reason to feel tied down to anything you write now. You can always make adjustments in the future. You’re the captain and this is your ship.
let's set some goals!
Got some direction in your life now?
Now let’s set some goals to support your journey:
- What can you do today to begin living the life you desire?
- What kind of goals would the person you describe in the first step pursue?
This can be the challenging part.
Yes we have imagined an ideal life.
We have brainstormed our eyeballs off.
Now we have to take action.
Don’t let a pesky little thing like procrastination halt your progress.
Take stock regularly.
- Do you need to modify your mission statement or your goals?
- What can you do to make them better?
- What is working for you and what is not working?
Your mission may be a moving target as you age and mature. Your experiences will help reshape your perspective.
I included my Review Journal at the bottom of the post. It’s a great resource to see what’s working and what’s not – in life AND in business.
Your mission statement forces you to evaluate your:
If you want the best possible chance of living an amazing life, a mission statement is an effective way to get started on that.
Take the time to craft a statement of your own.
You’re bound to learn things about yourself you never knew and re-energize your passion for living.
Personal Mission Statement Worksheet
Come up with your Personal Mission Statement with these worksheets, which will enable you to focus your efforts where they are needed.
- 1 Instructional page
- 1 Ideas Page
- 1 Finished Statement Page
"Crush Your Goals" Journal & Planner
The purpose of this kit is to help you get your goals down on paper so you are more likely to achieve them.
- Journal Prompts
- Monthly/Weekly Goal Planner Pages
- Goal Trackers
Quarterly Review Journal
Journal Prompts to help you discover what’s working and what needs attention in your business.
Doing a quarterly check-in will help your business keep running smoothly.