This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through the links, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
If you want sales in your business, you’re going to have to be good at online marketing. You’ll need to develop your skills and expand your knowledge to start seeing the results you want.
You’ll also need a lot of hard work and patience.
You don’t have to sign up for college classes or get a degree to do this.
You can become an expert through your own experience!
So, what are some methods we can use to learn online marketing at home?
Search Engine Marketing
SEM is a HUGE piece of your marketing puzzle, consisting of:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- PPC (Par Per Click advertising)
Learning SEO will help you optimize your website to it ranks higher on organic search results.
Why is that a good thing?
It helps drive traffic to your website.
Think about it: when was the last time you went to the next page after you searched for something? Getting on that first page is the goal of SEO.
Please Note: SEO changes continuously, so it is a good idea to monitor major changes in search engine algorithms. You’ll want to adjust your methods to keep in the good graces of search engines.
There are a plethora of SEO Courses online and a bunch of books.
Resources section below has links.
Pick one and get started!
Pay-Per-Click marketing is for sending traffic to websites with targeted ads.
One of the most popular PPC networks is Google Ads. With the AdSense code, ads from Google will be placed on your site.
As with SEO, there are plenty of courses you can take to quickly learn PPC online. There are a few that allow you to gain a Google Certification for PPC Ads (link in Resources section below).
Why is that needed?
To be honest, it’s not completely necessary.. but once you get that accreditation, you’ll have the necessary experience to get your own clients.
Gaining certification positions you as an expert in a subject, field or topic. It greatly increases your KLT (know, like and trust) factor, making potential clients or customers more likely to purchase from you.
Social Media Marketing
With millions of daily visitors, social media remains a fixture in some people’s daily routines, making it important to learn how to market on those platforms.
Most people have a love-hate relationship with social media, which is understandable. By all means, if social media is negatively impacting your mental health, skip this section.
Some advantages to social media marketing are:
- Free marketing for your website by engaging with your audience
- Cost-effective ads: campaigns start as little as $5/day
- Audiences for your ads can be highly targeted, shown only to specific groups
Need help learning how to leverage these platforms?
There are specialists and experts in every social network that will teach you everything you need to know. Whatever you need to learn to move your business forward, you can find a course for it.
I added a few posts I’ve done about social media in the Resources section at the bottom of this post.
Yes there are naysayer, but email marketing is still one of the best ways to market your business online. It consists of three simple steps:
- Building Your List
- Planning Campaigns
- Setting Up An Autoresponder
Step 1: Build
To build your list, offer something valuable in exchange for their email address:
- free report
- discount coupon
In this way, you can build a list of people that opted in to receive your emails.
The catch: it needs to be related to your products or services. You don’t want to use a recipe for root beer chicken as a lead magnet when your site is about pet products. Btw: yes, root beer chicken is a thing and yes, it’s DELICIOUS!!
Step 2: Campaigns
A successful email marketing campaign has three components/steps:
- Understand your audience and what they want
- Craft an offer that provides a solution for their biggest pain points
- Share that offer in an email to your list
Wanna build your email list and get your campaigns to them? You’ll need an autoresponder. There are a lot of platforms for this and most are free to get started. My recommendation is in the Resources section at the bottom.
Step 3: Autoresponders
An autoresponder sets up automatic emails that will deliver your lead magnet and the email blasts to your list. You can also track your ads and their effectiveness.
To learn more about email marketing and how to effectively use autoresponders:
- Pick one and start using it. Each platform will have guides and articles about how to use them to run successful marketing campaigns.
- Search for videos on YouTube that teach how to run email marketing campaigns with your chosen autoresponder.
- Do an online search for a course that teaches you the info you need.
My recommendations are in the Resources section.
Bottom line: Do Your Research and Take Action
- Research online marketing tips at home.
- Find out what techniques are working for others.
- Take these ideas.
- Use them yourself.
The techniques might feel like a crapshoot, but you will learn what works best for you and what you need to stop doing.
- Learn your own way of marketing.
- Know which area of online marketing you prefer to focus on.
Remember: everyone can’t be experts at everything. Many successful online marketers end up having a team of experts who each specialize in their own area.
You can become one of these experts yourself and do your own online marketing for your own company or offer your services to others.
You could make a nice extra income this way!
Our Blog Posts about Social Media
- The Pros & Cons of Using Social Media
- 5 Smart Ways to Use Social Media in Your Marketing Strategy
- How to Use Social Media to Get Targeted Traffic to Your Website
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Social Media in Your Business
- My Secret for Creating Social Media Posts Quickly
- All our blog posts about Social Media
Business Marketing Planner
- Social Media Calendar
- All 6 major platforms
- Blog Posts
- Affiliate Programs
Everything you need to get your business marketing strategy on paper!
Social Media Planner
30 PAGES TO ORGANIZE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PROFILES!
- Plan Content
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly Planners
- Posts and Stats Trackers
- Pages for each network
- Website/Blog Post Planner
- Keyword/Hashtag Trackers
- Post Schedule
- Editorial Calendar
- Goals Sheet
- Password Keeper
- BONUS: Planner Stickers
- BONUS: 15 Engagement Posts (Canva Template)